Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Thailand, Italy and Malaysia - all in 3 days

Right - I'm thoroughly overwhelmed by the lovely feedback I've recieved over the past couple of days! Thank you all so much for taking the time to read my ramblings and let me know what you think. Don't be afraid to leave a comment :)

I made Thai Green Curry on Sunday night for myself and Triona. I'd just like to point out that I'm not an incredible cook who whips up curry pastes in her pestle and mortar - that just isn't the way I roll. Maybe one day when I'm not working?! Does anyone actually do this? I am watching Nigella say the exact same thing on Food TV right now so that makes it all right in my book. Anyway, I'm a great fan of the Kan-Tong brand of Thai green curry recipe base. It comes in a little sachet thing and is enough for 2-3. Here's my non-recipe recipe for Thai green curry

Oil (I use Rice Bran)

1 onion, diced

Chicken - I used breast meat, cut up into smallish pieces, use however much suits you

Thai green curry paste/sachet

Coconut milk/cream - 140/160 ml can (the little one)

Frozen peas

Fry the onion, when softened add chicken. Brown. Add curry paste and coconut milk. Cook until chicken is almost cooked and add frozen peas. Cook for a further few mins. Serve on basmati rice.




Yuuummmm. Thanks Triona for being the hand model!


Tuesday saw my Dad turn another year older so the family trundled off to Caffe Italiano on Cuba St for dinner. Tuesday is also their 2 4 1 pasta night -quite a good deal considering the price of their pasta is pretty dear for what it is ($20 +). Between the 5 of us we had a couple of decent lasagnes, some pretty bright green gnocchi, salmon fettucine and pork and fennel sausages in a red bean stew (good rustic sausies). Service was pretty slow to start but picked up towards the end. We had a pinot grigo and the house red (which was delicious - a Sangiovese) as well as a couple of Peroni's.

Tonight I went to the supermarket for my weekly shop - something I look forward to greatly - and came across some Silk Road corriander and garlic roti in the chiller section. That got me thinking about Malaysian recipes and I settled on Malaysian satay chicken with rice and roti - I was feeling a bit greedy (big day at work!).






I can't understand why my food tastes so good but photographs so badly. This truly was delicious but I think I need to garnish more...

Next time I'll be reporting on the mahousive Mid Winter Christmas that's happening this weekend (and the return of the brilliant and illustrious Emma) and the beaut food and drink that will be being imbibed.

No comments:

Post a Comment