Sunday, July 25, 2010

Great India Goodness

Saturday was the kind of day that demanded a filling and delicious lunchon. So my flatmate Millie and I wandered down with one thing on our minds: curry. I had a rather vague memory of a very yummy and appealingly affordable $10 lunch at Great India on Manners St...and my second visit didn't disappoint.

The lunch menu gets you a curry, rice and naan for just $10. I went for a garlic naan, chicken tikka masala and basmati rice. Mil went for butter chicken, coconut and caramelised onion rice and a garlic naan. The smells coming out of the kitchen as we waited for our food made my mouth water in anticipation - it was akin to torture.

All I can say is that it was worth the (barely 15 minutes) wait. Beautiful succulent tandoori chicken pieces in a tasty thick sauce. This wasn't your usual tikka masala though, not a tomato in sight. I asked the waiter what the base was and he said it was the chef's special recipe - a yoghurt and cumin base. Fluffy light naan and decent rice. Great value for $10 - I went away as full as a state school. Possibly could've left a bit but it was too yummy. A really nice touch was that the waiter brought steaming hot minted towels for us to "refresh" ourselves with - what a great way to end the meal!

Highly recommend Great India - I shall give it 4/5 on the Sophie Scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment