Sunday, July 25, 2010

Let me introduce myself...

Firstly, thank you for visiting Truly Scrumptious. The name comes from the classic children's movie 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang' - and seems to fit nicely as a name for a food blog! This blog will not only feature recipes, musings and new/new to me products, but also my personal opinions on where to eat and, perhaps sometimes, where not to eat! There will usually be photos but my camera managed to get left at home today - so apologies for not having much to look at except my ramblings!


My enthusiasm for food is pretty huge. I think it says alot that I count the supermarket as one of my favourite places to visit. I could spend hours wandering up and down the aisles, mentally planning meals for the week, getting ideas from what's on special and what's freshest. I also love my weekly visits to the vege market and Moore Wilson's.


I reckon I'm pretty lucky to live pretty much right in the city (Te Aro) which means I have loads of options only a few minutes walk away. Today I went to the Willis St fruit and vege market, my usual Sunday morning excursion, and snaffled a few bits of fruit for the week. I wasn't as inspired as usual so decided to wander down to the Harbourside market on Wakefield St. Now, that's not somewhere I usually go, but I was stoked at the great selection of independent stall-holders they have, mostly food orientated. I picked up a beautiful blue cheese and caramelised onion tart for only $6 from a lovely woman who had lots of other delectable goodies in her cabinet - but I had to resist as I know I'm having a big dinner tonight (more on that to come!).

I also checked out the City Market. It's located in the Chaffers Dock Building, just across Waitangi Park. There were so many people packed into there on this nippy Wellington winter morning that it was all I could do to make a lap before I was forced to depart. I'll make sure I go earlier next time; midday is clearly peak time!


I wanted something to go with my blue cheese and caramelised onion tart so made my way up to Moore Wilson's (my old work!). I'd like to just muse for a moment and appreciate how beautiful the new Fresh Market is - it makes shopping much more enjoyable. Anyway, my eyes were drawn, like a moth to a flame, to a half baked loaf in the chiller - its top smothered with caramelised onions and parmesan cheese looked too good to pass by. I hurried home to pop the beauties into the oven - 12 minutes was all the loaf took and I could smell the onions in both as they heated through. What a spectacular result - the tart was so rich with onion and the pastry was flaky and buttery. The bread was oniony and light. Together they were perfect!


Tonight I have a friend coming over and I've promised her Thai green chicken curry. This is currently one of my favourite recipes and I'm salivating slightly thinking about how it's going to taste....mmmm!

2 comments:

  1. I am excited about this! I also love food, but I'm a terrible cook and can only do about half a dozen meals really well. But one of those is gnocchi - lets give it a go sometime and maybe our adventures will make it onto your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of this very much - my camera will capture our efforts umm - effortlessly creating our gnocchi? It will be quite the adventure no matter the outcome :)

    ReplyDelete